Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Bookstore to Take Your Breath Away

Greetings from Argentina, where I recently had the great pleasure of exploring one of the world's most breathtaking bookstores, El Ateneo, in Buenos Aires. Opened in 1919 as a grand theater for live performances, it later became a movie theater, and in 2000, was converted into a bookstore. As you can see, the stage has been converted into a cafe, and if you find a book you'd like to browse through, you can make yourself at home reading in one of the theater boxes on either side.Imagine shopping for your next bedside-table book or new dictionary in a place like this.

For the record, I bought a book of Shakespeare sonnets in Spanish and English, and a book of love letters between famous folks in Spanish.



Photo by Rodrigo Junqueira

1 Comments:

Blogger Werther said...

That bookstore makes me wish I knew Spanish, although I'm sure a visit would be worth it just to see the building.

On another note, I've been a big fan of your radio show for about four years now but only recently started visiting your blog. It'll help feed my "word nerd" appetite while you and Grant are on your summer hiatus. Keep up the amazing work.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home