Monday, June 18, 2007

The Making of a Writer

From the "Well, There Could Be Worse Reasons" Department, Andrew O'Hagan gives the opening address at the Sydney Writers' Festival and reveals his own inspiration for becoming a writer:
My brothers and I were always hanging around our house at night looking for things to burn, but this night I found myself watching Dr Zhivago. There’s a scene in that movie when Omar Sharif comes gliding down the stairs in a flowing dressing gown, Omar Sharif, you know, following his rather impressive moustache down the stairs. Well, he arrives in this room – a giant study, you know, French windows, flowery armchairs, the lot. He sits down at this elegant ecritoir and looks out of the windows, where he sees, in quick succession, a host of daffodils, a bank of snow, a full moon and a herd of deer. (God bless Hollywood.) Anyhow, I’m watching this with wide eyes. Next thing he lifts up a feather pen and – without any ink blotches or crossings out or mistakes, and it takes him about 3.4 nanoseconds – he writes the "Sonnet to Lara’. After which he goes upstairs and goes to bed with Julie Christie. I remember watching that very closely and thinking, "I could do that."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger ambrose mensch said...

Hilarious. Thanks so much for that.

-Mark
Pacific Beach

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home