Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Get Ready, Get Set . . .

I haven't posted much lately. That's because we here at "A Way with Words" have been on the run, getting ready to kick off our brand-new season this coming Saturday, January 20. My new co-host, Grant Barrett, was out here in California for a few days last week, and we had a blast getting ready for our first show. I'm really excited about it.

Btw, if I posted something every time Grant was in the news talking about language, I wouldn't have time to do much else. But I will point out that he was recently holding forth in the Philadelphia Inquirer about the American Dialect Society's "Word of the Year" vote.

And you may have caught Grant this past Sunday in the New York Times, where "On Language" columnist William Safire referred to him as "the lexicographer Grant Barrett."

Which reminds me: Shouldn't there be a word for the point at which one becomes a "the"? I've been waiting to be referred to in print as "the sultry radio host Martha Barnette." Hasn't happened yet. But I suppose there's still time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Barnette:
Through the magic of podcasts I've just recently become acquainted with 'A Way With Words', and I'm certainly willing to grant you the title of "the sultry radio host Martha Barnette." The show is delightful, and even your blog is entertaining. If that doesn't qualify for sultry, I don't know what does!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Hiya, Mark!

Great -- I hope you'll keep listening. We're very excited about the new version of the show, which debuts this weekend!

And thanks for the title. I think I'm going to start signing my checks as "Martha Barnette, SRH."

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As opposed to, "Martha Barnette, HRH"?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

Good point. I'll have to make up some business cards with a microphone logo, and some others with a crown. Howzat?

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home