Tuesday, March 14, 2006

And Speaking of Speed Bumps

Just remembered another term for those teeth-rattling interruptions in the road: chatter bumps (not to be confused with goose bumps, of course). As Double-Tongued Word-Wrester points out, a chatter bump is a "small depression in a roadbed, usually occurring in series and creating a corrugated or rippled surface." Also known as a washboard.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

In mid-Missouri, we call those road corrugations "rumble strips."

7:25 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

I forgot about "rumble strips" -- although I always thought of them as being raised. You use the same term for a series of cuts in the road as well?

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *do* use the same term for both the series of mini-speed bumps and the thin troughs cut in the road -- either way, your car rumbles as you cross them (and if you have horses in a horse trailer behind you, you get to feel them jump in surprise!).

3:04 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

Ah, tx for the clarification re the rrrrrrumble strips!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home