Thursday, February 09, 2006

Today's Word: Macarize

A language-loving pal in New York just wrote to say that she'd just found this blog and wanted to macarize me.

Not that I'm paranoid, but I assumed that she was yet another of the Mac users in my life who keep nagging me to ditch my beloved IBM Thinkpad and come on over to their side. (You know who you are!)

Turns out that macarize has been around since at least the early 1800s, and means "congratulate." The OED says macarize originally meant "to account or call (a person, etc.) happy or blessed." Seeing that, I was smacking (smackerizing?) my forehead for not guessing this word's Greek origin. Macarize is from makarizein, the root of the word that appears repeatedly in the Greek text of the Beatitudes ("Blessed are the peacemakers," etc.)

Anyway, I'd like to macarize Randy Hecht for introducing me to a new word. But until they make a Mac-compatible version of the OED on CD-ROM, I'm not letting go of my Thinkpad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

You don't want the OED on CD-ROM! You want OED.com. Seriously. Email me, you should be on the journo list for it anyway.

Grant pushed me here!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha wrote:

i . . . But until they make a Mac-compatible version of the OED on CD-ROM, I'm not letting go of my Thinkpad.

I have internet access to the OED via a university library (UPenn's) on my new Mac, and it's every byte as convenient as having the OED CD right on the machine.

(Also, as a longtime user of a Windows machine, I was not looking forward to the process of having to familiarize myself with the (to me) new system that a Mac entails. But after one week of occasional mild frustration, I'm finding it has so many conveniences I never had before, I'm sold on it.)

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home