Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Talk About Your Wedding Showers!

That torrential rain we were supposed to get never quite materialized. As the afternoon turned beautiful, though, I was reminded of the South African term for when the sun is shining while it's still raining: monkey's wedding. It may be adapted from the Portuguese term for same, which translates as "vixen's wedding," or a Zulu term that literally means "wedding for monkeys." Encarta has another explanation. What's interesting is that so many different languages describe this meterological phenomenon in terms of unlikely pairings: in Arabic, "the rats are getting married"; in Bulgarian, it's bears who're tying the knot; in northern India, it's jackals. In Greece, a sunshower means that "poor people are getting married." There are quite a few other colorful terms like these. Which have you heard?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha.....

In my mother tongue Telugu, we call it 'marriage between a jackal and a dog'. It's been years I heard this term. Thanks for making me recall my childhood days.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Hey, that's very cool! Glad to add another to the list. Don't you love when someone calls up a term like that from your childhood? It happened to me the other day when a caller asked about the expression "pure-dee," meaning "totally." It'd been years and years and years since I'd heard my mother say this! Wow, what a stroll down Memory Lane, eh?

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home