Monday, February 04, 2008

Calling All Cruciverbalists


As NPR Puzzlemaster and New York Times crossword puzzle editor Will Shortz mentioned yesterday on NPR's "Weekend Edition," my co-host Grant Barrett and I will be appearing at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament, the nation's oldest and largest crossword competition. If you're going to be there, please do make a point of saying hello! We also look forward to hanging out with the "A Way with Words" Puzzle Guys, Greg Pliska and John Chaneski.

And of course, to psych myself up, I'm watching the entertaining movie "Wordplay" all over again. (I'm also looking forward to seeing Grant, who will be providing the color commentary during this year's finals, all gussied up with the same kind of crossword-puzzle cravat that Neal Conan sports in the film).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely word!

I'm a cruciverbalist, and didn't know it!

Best,

Keith

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha wrote:

"I'm also looking forward to seeing Grant, who will be providing the color commentary during this year's finals . . ." (italics mine).

I never heard the phrase "color commentary" in my life before this weekend, and suddenly I read it in three unrelated accounts on the web.

Some idioms sure spread fast!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Out of curiosity I just tried looking up "color commentary" in Wikipedia, and got the article titled "Color commentator".

According to its revision history, this article first appeared on Nov. 10, 2007 (i.e., less than four months ago).

1:52 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

Well, the term "color commentary" goes back at least to 1990. Sounds like the "Recency Illusion" to me!

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home