Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fast Thumbs at Timpanogos High

Seems a 18-year-old from Provo, Utah, just set the world record for what's called "competitive texting." Ben Cook managed to type out, on a cell phone:
"The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human."
That he managed to do this at all impresses me, bcuz whn it cms 2 txt-msgng, im all thmbs. (Or rather, I wish I were.) That he did it in 42.22 seconds -- breaking his previous record established while he was a student at Timpanogos High -- is astounding. Can commercial endorsements be far behind? (Assuming Ben's urine tests come back negative, of course.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Clint Gardner said...

What is also interesting is that a pirrahna-like fish was found in Utah lake (which is next to Provo). Coincidence?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

wow -- hadn't heard that. I guess it's safe to assume that the txt-msg champ didn't let his thumbs anywhere near those things, eh? (nice hat, btw.)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

El, as far as I know, we've never officially been on CPR (although we're working on it, believe me). Might you have been picking us up through Wisconsin Public Radio (where we are, ahum, their #1 show on Sundays)? Feel free, of course, to hold a sit-in at CPR until they relent!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Clint Gardner said...

Yes I like my hat.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Clint Gardner said...

I would also suggest, Martha, that you work on one of the 4 public radio stations in the Salt Lake City area to carry A way with Words? I just recently found you on a podcast and am definitely addicted.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

theorris, we hope to be in SLC one of these days! Feel free to work on them there in the meantime!

(And glad you're enjoying the podcasts. I can't wait until we start our new recording season in the fall!!)

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home